His Vivisection

He carves himself out. Western Medicine decided on application of drastic measures.

2007-04-22

Dreams and Unrealities

David Lynch's "Inland Empire" is not for the faint-hearted. Everyone who has seen it, mentioned people leaving. The person sitting just above me left and, more annoyingly, a couple sitting on the far side stayed but talked and was generally obnoxious.

I found the film to be a hallucinatory experience, yet at the same time, I kept drifting off. I had a feeling that this might be an interesting journey, but it is a journey to nowhere.

Yet, ever since I keep returning to it in my thoughts.

DV has really managed to liberate film-making, recently and helped Lynch to make his most surreal feature up-to-date.

Following on "Mulholland Drive," he continues to explore Hollywood's unrealities, dreams, and their dark undertones.

It's a movie about a movie being shot, continously referencing itself, with the real and unreal blending the point where you can differ between the two. What is "reality" anyway? The point "Inland Empire" seems to make is that it doesn't exist anymore, it's been replaced by our consumer driven dreams, that can be never lived up to, and usually end up a nightmare.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

I looked at one of the trailers on youtube - don't think I'd like it... Then again I've generally never been particularly into Lynch.
Other than the style it sounds like I wouldn't like the point of the film either ;-P Then again it's not as if it's a rare occurrence for the two of us to interpret the point of a film differently ;) (I hope we get to do just that in about a week ;-P)
But to me it sounds like a rather pretentious idea and I don't agree with it. I mean there's a lot one can question about reality (and the Matrix proves that one doesn't even have to make an art house film to do it ;) ), but why would "reality" be taken over by consumer driven dreams more than by other things? And anyway - throughout the whole of human existence people have not been happy with what they have, so in my opinion consumerism isn't even interesting to interpret from that angle. There are other more interesting (or maybe scary?) aspects of consumerism IMO.

20:42  
Blogger his-vivisection said...

Hmmm I'm sure you wouldn't interpret the film like this.

I don't think I really did either. In any case "Inland Empire" completely eludes any kind of singular interpretations.

So what I've written was just a thought that seemed to go well with some imagery from the film.

03:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home